In April 2020, according to ons.gov.uk, 46.6% of people in employment did some work at home with the vast majority (86.0%) of these homeworkers stating it was because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
With a 2021 lockdown now starting, getting advice for remote working and implementing suitable systems is becoming overwhelming for business decision makers.
There is plenty of technology available to ensure that staff can continue to be as productive at home as they are in the office but you must also ensure that staff are working as securely as possible.
Obviously having an excellent IT support company in place to provide the expertise and set you and your staff up is handy, however here is a list of points you can check for your business if you do not:
- Make use of cloud resources – Microsoft provide all you need under a single monthly subscription called Microsoft 365. This covers MS Office licensing, email services and data storage on the cloud.
- Secure your system – Ensure you have subscribed antivirus software on any device which will be accessing your data to minimise the risk of your company data being infected.
- Subscribe to a SaaS backup service – For your cloud storage and email, make sure you have a SaaS backup in place to protect your data against loss.
- Go mobile – Ensure your phone system allows you to make and receive calls from your office number using your computer or mobile.
- Stay in the loop – Make use of Microsoft Teams or a similar product for online video conferencing and instant messaging.
The other thing to consider is staff training especially in regards to Cyber Security. Suddenly devices which store company data are not in a secure work environment but in someone’s home with access from others. Is there a risk to sensitive data being lost?
- Lock your device when you are not at your desk, the last thing you need is a curious child sending your boss an email! You can do this by holding the Windows key on your keyboard down and pressing “L”.
- Set a strong password, see our previous blog for our Technical Director’s tips on this… the key is don’t write it down and never stick it to your machine!
- Don’t leave the device unattended, for example in your car.
- Protect your device with full disk encryption so even if the device were stolen no data could be obtained
The above checklist is not exhaustive but it will provide some clear guidance for anyone who is feeling concerned or anxious about home working.
Southern Solutions has continued to support all of our customers with our expertise throughout this challenging time and will be continuing to enable our customers to work from their various locations as this lockdown continues.
We are always available to provide advice to any business that requires support so please give the team a call.